Baseball and softball are very competitive sports, and whether you are playing at the major league level or in youth leagues, the stakes are always high. It is because of this reasons that players are always looking for something that can give them an advantage such as having the right cleats.
A good pair of cleats should be comfortable and flexible enough so that you can make some quick and explosive movement and also offer you enough traction. Also, it is important to know that there are different types of cleats for softball (slow pitch and fastpitch) and baseball. And so it is vital to know the right shoe type for your sport and also the things to consider when making your choice from the different brands in the market.
Top 4 Best Softball Cleats For Men And Women 2017
- Mizuno Women's 9 Spike ADV Finch 6
- Type: Fastpitch Molded Softball Cleat
Material: Synthetic, Synthetic sole, Rubber Studs
- Editor Rating:
- Mizuno Women's 9 Spike Swift 4
- Type: Fastpitch Metal Softball Cleat
Material: Synthetic, Synthetic Sole
- Editor Rating:
- Mizuno Men's 9 Spike Advanced Erupt 3
- Type: Molded Softball Cleat
Material: Synthetic, Rubber Sole
- Editor Rating:
- Mizuno Men's Players Trainer
- Type: Turf Shoe
Material: Fabric/Synthetic, Rubber Sole
- Editor Rating:
Top 4 Best Baseball Cleats 2017
- Adidas Performance Men's Speed Trainer 2
- Type: Baseball Turf Shoe
Material: Textile/Synthetic, Rubber Sole
- Editor Rating:
- Under Armour Men's Leadoff Low RM
- Type: Molded Baseball Cleat
Material: Textile and Synthetic, Rubber Sole
- Editor Rating:
- New Balance Men's L4040V3
- Type: Metal Baseball Cleat
Material: Synthetic, Synthetic Sole
- Editor Rating:
- Mizuno Men's 9 Spike ADV FRHSE 8
- Type: Molded Baseball Cleat
Material: Synthetic, Rubber/Synthetic Sole
- Editor Rating:
Cleats According To Game Type
The game that you play is the first thing that will determine the best cleats for you. Whether you play fastpitch or slowpitch softball or baseball, there are appropriate shoes for each sport. Also, the organizations that govern the leagues have some rules and regulations on what you can and cannot wear when playing in their leagues.
Slowpitch is a competitive game, but there are also many casual versions of the sport. However, what is a standard feature in most is that they do not allow players to wear metal cleats. One of the reasons for this rule is the fact that the players can cause injuries to each other with the metals spikes when sliding into the bases. For slowpitch, rubber or plastic cleats are what most players will wear, but they still give enough traction.
Fastpitch is more competitive than slow pitch because the balls are much faster. The associations in charge of the sport allow for metal cleats, but some players still prefer the rubber and plastic ones.
For high school, college league and the major league baseball it is okay to use metal cleats, and they are what a majority of players will prefer to use because they offer excellent traction and make it easy to take off or slow down. However, almost all youth baseball leagues do not allow players to wear metal cleats so as to reduce the risk of injuries. And so juniors have to go with rubber or plastic options.
Types Of Softball/Baseball Cleats
Knowing the types of shoes that are legal in your game is always the first step in finding the best cleats. However, it is still essential for players to know the different types available because this makes it easy for you to make your pick.
Metal cleats can dig into dirt or grass, and so they provide the best traction. These cleats will give players the grip that they need to take off and slow down, and this is why they are very popular with players in college and professional leagues.
However, their exceptional grip is still a shortcoming because they can cause injuries when players make a sudden change of direction. They are also dangerous when players slide into bases, and this is why junior baseball leagues and slowpitch softball do not allow players to wear them.
Molded cleats are very durable and versatile, and most companies make them with a plastic upper section and rubber studs.
The studs are affixed to the shoes permanently for most molded cleats, and they are what most youth players prefer to use. These shoes are stable and reliable, but players love them because it is possible to wear them on almost any surface. Although they are also more affordable, they do not grip the surface with the same effectiveness as the metal ones.
Turf shoes might not be suitable for use when playing on grass and dirt, but baseball players still need them as they come in handy when training away from the field.
Unlike metal, they do not cause damages to the turf and are also very comfortable. These shoes are also what players should where on an artificial turf because they offer the ideal amount of grip on this surface.
Interchangeable cleats make it possible to change from metal to molded cleats if you play in a league that allows the metal ones. With these shoes, the studs are just screwed on, and so you can remove and replace them with ones that fit the field conditions or to adhere to the league rules.
Six Things To Consider When Buying The Best Softball or Baseball Cleats
When shopping for the best baseball cleats or the best pair for softball, there are some crucial things that you have to take into account. The type of game (softball or baseball) and the type of shoe are the two most important factors to consider, but there are still many others.
Traditional softball and leather cleats have an all leather construction. The leather is a good material, and this is not only because of its durability but also because it is very breathable.
Breathability is a fundamental element because players need to keep their feet fresh and dry for maximum comfort. However, there are still many other cleats with a synthetic or plastic construction, and they are a perfect choice for muddy and wet conditions.
The best cleats are always those that come in various sizes because they make it easy for you to find something with a perfect fit. Before you buy any baseball or softball shoe, it is important to make sure that the size is right for you.
Trying it out is the best way of guaranteeing that the size is correct. But if this is not possible you can use the company's size charts to determine the right pair for you. However, size charts work best for players with exact shoe numbers.
The weight of your softball or baseball shoe will depend on the height of the ankle and the type of outsole. It is important to know that lightweight is not always good and neither is a weighty shoe.
The lighter the shoes, the less stable they will be which can affect your game negatively. If you prefer to wear a low-cut anything between 10 and 11 ounces is perfect while 12 to 13 ounces is ideal for the mid-cut.
Everything from the material of the cleat to the size will affect its level of comfort. However, the internal padding and ankle support are the two things that affect comfort the most.
The sturdy outsoles on cleats mean that they tend to put a lot of pressures on your feet and so you should choose a pair with some extra insole padding to deal with this. Additional ankle support, on the other hand, helps to address issues like overpronation. A shoe with a high top also provides some extra support when making lateral movements.
The best softball cleats come from the top brands, and so you cannot overlook the brand when shopping for your pair. Although many companies make baseball and softball gear like cleats some like Adidas, Under Armour, Nike, Mizuno, and New Balance still manage to stand out. The fact that they are famous across the globe and that thousands of baseball and softball players prefer their products shows that they make high-quality cleats.
The golden rule for softball and baseball players is always to stick to a brand that they know and not to go for cheap ones because this almost never ends well. Most of these reputable companies have many types of cleats, and they are always releasing new ones, and so you can still get something high-quality within your budget. And so once you decide how much money you want to spend you should look for the best quality within that budget.
Here Are Our Best Softball Cleats For Men And Women Reviews
Mizuno Women's 9 Spike ADV Finch 6 - Best Molded Softball Cleat
Mizuno’s 9-Spike ADV Finch 6 is one of the best softball cleats for a woman that loves fastpitch. It features a synthetic leather upper section that is very breathable and comfortable and a tongue with some extra padding for maximum comfort.
These cleats also have a full-length midsole that ensures that you get maximum cushioning between the heel and toe. This midsole also helps to reduce cleat pressure to ensure that the player remains comfortable throughout the match or training session.
The 9-spike advanced outsole comes with some Pro Flex grooves that ensure that you get maximum flex for superior performance. Apart from having the nine molded rubber spikes they also have a unique layout, and each is in a strategic place for maximum stability, traction, and comfort.
This lightweight cleat comes in all the major female sizes starting from size-5 to 12, and you can get it in various color combinations including pink/black and blue/white.
- Rubber studs provide comfort and durability.
- These cleats are ideal for use in all types of softball fields.
- The midsole is full length to provide sufficient support.
- Mizuno 9-Spike ADV Finch 6 has a synthetic upper material that is durable and also very breathable.
- The 9-spike layout and strategic placement of the rubber cleats help to maximize stability and traction.
- Pro Flex grooves on the outsoles enhance the flex to provide superior performance.
- The padded tongue also provides excellent fit and improves the comfort.
- Mizuno 9-Spike ADV Finch 6 is available in all the main sizes for ladies, and you get to choose between various color combinations.
- They feel a little tight for players with wide feet.
- Although they are quite comfortable cleats, they do not have enough arch support.
Mizuno Women's 9 Spike Swift 4 Fast Pitch - Best Metal Softball Cleat
The Spike Swift 4 by Mizuno uses Mizuno’s wave technology to ensure that the shoes provide maximum stability and cushioning. It has a 9-spike outsole design with some metal spikes that provide excellent traction and maximum stability on any surface and so with these cleats players can concentrate on their game without worrying about slipping.
These shoes also feature a perforated synthetic leather upper section with a breathable mesh lining to ensure maximum breathability so that a player's feet remain fresh and dry.
Mizuno gives these cleats a full-length midsole that offers sufficient padding and cushioning from the heel to the toe and also helps to reduce cleat pressure. The shoes also use ProFlex which entails giving them multiple flex zones to ensure maximum movement. And it is also available in all sizes from 5 to 12 and in more than a dozen colors that include red/white, gray/white and white/black.
- 9-spike outsole with metal cleats provides excellent traction and stability on any surface.
- Perforated upper and the breathable mesh lining provide maximum breathability to keep feet fresh and dry.
- ProFlex creates multiple flex zones to allow for maximum movement.
- Spike Swift 4 is an affordable pair of cleats that will offer you great value for your cash.
- The tongue has some nice padding to enhance the fit and maximize comfort.
- Full-length midsole provides support and cushioning for the entire foot.
- Mizuno Women's 9 Spike Swift 4 is available in a variety of bright and feminine colors.
- These cleats are available in all the main sizes for women.
- The synthetic sole is not as durable as leather.
- There are a few complaints about the sizes being a little small.
- One side of the tongue is fixed hence making these cleats feel awkward.
Mizuno Men's 9 Spike Advanced Erupt 3 Softball Cleat
The Spike ADV Erupt 3 is an outstanding pair of shoes and probably also one of the best softball cleats for men in the market. Mizuno makes them with a combination of synthetic leather and fabric on the upper section to guarantee maximum breathability and comfort regardless of how long you are in the field.
These cleats also have a plush collar and tongue that also help to make them very comfortable for softball players.
These Mizuno cleats come with a full-length midsole that provides sufficient padding for the feet from the toe to the heel and also an EVA footbed that is full-length to enhance the cushioning and for maximum shock absorption.
The 9-spike design on the outsole of these cleats provides superior traction and makes this shoe ideal for multiple sports. You can use it for softball, baseball, rugby and even field hockey.
- The fabric and synthetic upper section provide maximum breathability and comfort.
- Lateral stiffening overlays on the top part help to enhance comfort and durability
- Mizuno Men's 9 Spike Advanced Erupt 3 has some padding on both the collar and tongue for extra comfort.
- The full-length midsole provides padding and cushioning for the entire foot.
- EVA footbed provides a well-cushioned feel and outstanding shock absorption.
- Ground-grip lug design ensures that players always get excellent traction and stability.
- Forefoot can flex through multiple zones thanks to the ProFlex technology.
- The design and choice of material make these cleats ideal for various sports.
- These shoes run about half a size small.
- You will not get a lot of options when it comes to the colors.
- They might be too narrow for men with wide feet.
- Mizuno Men's 9 Spike Advanced Erupt 3 will take some time to break then in and get used to them.
Mizuno Men's Players Trainer Turf Shoe - Best Turf Shoe For Baseball and Softball
Mizuno makes these trainer turf shoes with a combination of synthetic leather and a mesh fabric to make them very supportive, stable and comfortable while also ensuring that the feet remain dry and fresh.
The outsole is a high-quality rubber material that helps to improve traction, acceleration, and stability which are vital for movement when playing both softball and baseball.
These cleats come with a unique U4ic full-length midsole which is one of their most impressive features. This full-length midsole offers unbeatable support, shock absorption and responsiveness to ensure that you get maximum benefits from your training sessions.
Also, these Mizuno shoes come in more than a dozen colors which include red/white, black/white, navy/white and gray/white to make it easy for players to find something that matches their team shades. And they are available from sizes 7 to 14, and so all male players can be sure of finding something that fits them.
- The fabric and synthetic upper material are very breathable and durable.
- Padding on the tongue and collar help to make this a very comfortable softball cleat.
- Mizuno Men's Players Trainer Turf Shoe is available in more than a dozen colors to make it easy to get a pair that matches your team colors.
- The full-length midsole offers unmatched shock absorption, support, and maximum responsiveness.
- Rubber outsole improves everything from traction to stability and acceleration.
- These turf shoes are available from sizes 7 to 14.
- Mizuno Men's Players are only suitable for turf use and will not work well in the field.
- Just like most other Mizuno shoes, players complain that the sizes are a little small.
- These cleats are not available in options for men with wide feet.
- They can be a little uncomfortable at first and are not very durable.
Here Are Four Best Baseball Cleats Reviews
Adidas Performance Men's Speed Trainer 2 Training Shoe - The Best Baseball Turf Shoe
Adidas makes some of the best baseball cleats and training shoes. Their men’s Speed Trainer is what thousands of baseball players prefer to use during their training sessions because they offer excellent grip on grass, turf and even on indoor surfaces. The company makes them with a lightweight synthetic and mesh materials on the upper section that ensure maximum comfort and breathability.
These Adidas shoes have some distinct Metallic SPRINTWEB cages that make it possible to get a lockdown fit and some OrthoLite sock liners for some extra comfort. Also, they come with some light padding around the tongue and collar to add some comfort, a full-length midsole that provides adequate cushioning and responsiveness and a decoupled outsole with some multisurface traction that provides a quick lateral movement and excellent grip on all surfaces.
With these Adidas training shoes, you get to choose from two dozen color combinations and hence making it possible to find a pair that matches your uniform or team colors.
- Air mesh upper and synthetic overlays help to make them breathable and very comfortable.
- Light padding on the tongue and collar contributes to making them more comfortable.
- The lace-up closure makes then easy to wear and adjust.
- Full-length midsoles provide maximum responsiveness and cushioning.
- Adidas Performance Men's Speed Trainer 2 is available in dozens of color combinations.
- These training shoes also come with OrthoLite sock liners for extra comfort.
- The outsole is very durable and also includes flex grooves and traction control.
- These training shoes will offer excellent grip on turf, grass and indoor surfaces.
- They are quite narrow shoes, and so they will feel very tight for men with wide feet.
- Apart from being slim, the sizes run small, and they also have a strange fit.
- These shoes will not work very well with orthotics.
Under Armour Men's Leadoff Low RM Baseball Cleat
Under Armour is one of the most famous brands in the manufacture of baseball cleats. Their Leadoff Low RM is a high-quality pair of baseball shoes that features a synthetic upper construction for maximum comfort and to ensure that you get to use it for a long time.
These cleats also have some extra padding on the collar and tongue for extra comfort. The tongue also has a mesh construction for maximum breathability so that it can keep the feet cool and dry throughout the game.
The footbed on these cleats has some light cushioning to make it just comfortable enough and it also comes with a 3/4 long midsole that provides sufficient cushioning while also helping to disperse cleat pressure. This shoe comes with a breathable fabric on the inside that provides a great in-shoe feel.
The outsole is real rubber and with some molded cleats to ensure that players always get perfect traction on different surfaces.
Under Armour makes these cleats in all the main sizes for male and also in a variety of color combinations so that players can find their favorite colors.
- The synthetic upper section provides maximum comfort and support.
- The mesh tongue makes it more breathable to ensure that your feet remain cool and dry throughout the match.
- These cleats are available in all standard male sizes.
- The almost full-length midsole provide extra cushioning and helps to disperse cleat pressure.
- Under Armour Men's Leadoff Low RM Baseball Cleats comes in some bright and attractive color combinations that include black/red and royal blue/white.
- This baseball cleat also includes an abrasion-resistant piece for the toe.
- The rubber outsole with molded cleats provides excellent grip and traction on all surfaces.
- They seem a little too snug when you get them.
- Just like most other cleats, the sizes seem to run a little short.
- Some players find them a little expensive given that they are low-tops with rubber molded cleats.
New Balance Men's L4040V3 Baseball Cleat - The Best Metal Baseball Cleat
New Balance is famous for making some of the lightest baseball cleats, and the Men's L4040V3 is one of the pairs that give them this reputation. It is an improvement of their previous baseball cleats, and it features a synthetic upper section with a No-sew FantomFit design to ensure that it offers a lightweight support and excellent fit. This lace-up baseball shoe also comes with a protective overlay for the toe and a padded collar.
The tongue on this shoe is debris-free, and so you never have to worry about dirt getting into the cleats as you play. New Balance gives this shoe a full-length REVlite foam midsole that is lightweight and helps to provide adequate cushioning and also minimizing pressure.
New Balance Men's L4040V3 cleats have a synthetic outsole with some metal cleats that will provide exceptional grip on all surfaces. Also, they come in numerous color combinations.
- New Balance L4040V3 comes with a debris-free tongue for comfort and easy after match cleaning.
- The full-length midsole offers lightweight cushioning and support.
- Lightweight material along the saddle and sides is as breathable as mesh and also very supportive.
- These cleats have metal spikes that will offer superior grip on different surfaces.
- The no-sew upper provides lightweight support and an excellent fit.
- They come in numerous colors and all sizes.
- These cleats also have a toe-protect piece.
- They are quite light baseball cleats.
- The synthetic outsole is not as durable as leather.
- New Balance Men's L4040V3 cleats are quite an expensive pair of cleats if you compare them with other brands.
- There are a few complaints about the sizes running small or large for some players.
- Some players also complain that the midsole and insole materials are not very high-quality.
Mizuno Men's 9 Spike ADV FRHSE 8 Mid Baseball Cleat - The Best Molded Baseball Cleat
If you are looking for the best baseball cleats, Mizuno is one of the top brands that you should try. Their 9-spike ADV features a synthetic upper construction with some detailed and stylish stitching that give it a very appealing appearance.
The company makes these shoes for baseball, and this is why they come with a 9-spike design. This outsole is also a blend of rubber and synthetic which makes it very durable while the studs are also rubber which makes them comfortable to use on all surfaces.
These cleats have a tall shaft that measures 4.5 inches from the arch, and it is an outstanding feature because it not only make it more comfortable around the ankle area but also good for fast runners. Mizuno also uses a full-length midsole on these cleats for maximum comfort and cushioning, and despite its high arch, it is still one of the lightest baseball cleats.
- The 9-spike ADV has a long shaft that offers maximum support and comfort around the ankle area.
- The outsole on these baseball cleats is a blend of rubber and synthetic which makes it very durable.
- Mizuno gives these 9-spike shoes a full-length midsole for extra comfort.
- You get to choose from some attractive and bright colors that include red and royal blue.
- Mizuno Men's 9 Spike ADV FRHSE 8 cleats have rubber studs that will provide comfort in all field types and are very durable.
- The 9-spike design is very suitable for baseball.
- They offer adequate space for baseball players with wider and thicker feet.
- The rubber studs are not very useful in digging into the ground which can minimize the support that you get.
- Some players also complain that the sizes run a little small.
- The insole does not provide sufficient cushioning.
How To Take Care Of Your Softball/Baseball Cleats
Once you get the best cleats for baseball or softball, it is important to give them the best care because this ensures that you get the best service from them and that they serve you for long. Here is how to care for your baseball/softball shoes.
- Always carry Popsicle sticks, some extra shoelaces, paper towels and shoe trees in your gear bag as you might need them to take care of your shoes when playing or after the game.
- Keep the cleats in the dugout and only where them when you are going to play because this will prevent the wear and tear that comes from walking on hard surfaces to and from the field.
- Never leave your baseball/softball shoes in the car because the extreme temperatures can damage them and reduce their lifespan.
- When cleaning them, you should always start by clapping them and using a puffy knife to get rid of the mud. You should then wash the cleats with a hose, and you can also use a soft cloth to apply a gentle soap when cleaning. Also, leave the shoes to dry at room temperature.
- Those that wear metal cleats should always remember to check the studs for rust and to ensure that they are sturdy or replace missing and broken spikes.
- Remember to air dry your cleats after a game before storage to prevent the buildup of moisture.
Softball and baseball are fun sports that appeal to players of different ages. But to get the best experience from the game you need to have the best cleats. A comfortable pair that offers enough traction and flexibility will help make it easy to move around and enjoy the game. And with the above information in mind, finding the best baseball cleats or a pair for slowpitch or fastpitch softball should never be a problem.