The catcher’s position is one of the most difficult ones in baseball. A catcher plays an essential role in the baseball diamond and so apart from needing a lot of training and skills youth playing in the position also require the right equipment. Key among these essential items is the catcher's helmet which is what the player uses to protect the head from wild swings and pitches. The fact that it offers protection to the head is enough to show that you need to buy the best catchers gear for your youth player.
Buying the best kid helmets is never easy, but things should not be tough if you have the right information. Before you even go out to shop for one, it is important to do extensive research on the different elements that make a good catcher’s helmet. One of the things that you should keep in mind is the playing level of the kid. If your child is in a league chances are that the league requires the use of specific types of helmets.
Knowing the regulations will ensure that you do not end up buying something that your kid cannot use in his league. Apart from league rules, there are still many other things that you need to consider when purchasing a youth catchers helmet.
Top 3 Best Youth Catchers Helmet Reviews 2017
1. Mizuno G4 Youth Samurai Catcher's Helmet
The Mizuno G4 Youth Samurai helmet will ensure that the player will always get maximum protection when behind the plate. It comes with a sturdy steel mask for the face that offers maximum protection and durability and an adjustable jaw pad for a soft feel and moisture control.
This helmet has three layers of EVA foam that provide an incredible fit and comfort and a strategic ventilation system that adds to the comfort and ensures maximum breathability. The 6 1/2 to 7 1/4 inches size will fit most youths, and it comes in some bright and attractive colors.
- The strategic ventilations make it very comfortable and breathable.
- This helmet has a sturdy steel face mask that offers maximum protection and is also very durable.
- It also includes an adjustable jaw pad that provides moisture control and gives the helmet a soft feel.
- G4 Youth Helmet fits well, and it will not move around.
- There are plenty of colors available.
- The three layers of EVA foam ensure maximum comfort throughout the game.
- The back plate has a ridge that makes the helmet uncomfortable when the catcher looks up.
- It has a long chin piece that can make it hard to wear.
- The hooks that attach the mask to the helmet do not look durable.
2. Easton Rival Catcher's Helmet
Rival Catcher's Helmet by Easton has a unique rubberized matte finish that gives it a very appealing look that is what will draw most people to it. It has an ABS shell and a steel face mask, and so you can be sure of maximum protection.
The shell has some air vents with a strategic placement to ensure maximum ventilation. Also, it has multilayer foam padding on the inner section that provides a comfortable fit and efficient impact dispersions. And it is available in small and large hat sizes and four different colors.
- The rubberized matte finish gives the helmet a unique and stylish appearance.
- It is available in small and large hat sizes.
- The ABS shell offers uncompromised protection when behind the plate.
- Youth catchers will never have to worry about overheating and sweating because the shell has some strategic air vents for maximum ventilation.
- The high strength steel mask offers maximum protection without affecting the field of vision.
- It has multi-layer foams that provide a comfortable fit and impact dispersion.
- This youth catchers helmet has NOCSAE Approval.
- It is quite an expensive helmet.
- The lower padding at the back causes irritation, and you might need to trim it.
- You have to tighten the screws on the helmet after every few weeks.
3. Wilson Prestige Catcher's Helmet
The Prestige Catcher’s helmet by Wilson comes with a Premium Grade ABS shell that offers maximum protection from wild balls and bats. It has a durable steel face mask that protects the face without affecting a catcher's vision.
The face mask pairs with the ABS shell to ensure that the player gets a 360-degree protection. Also, the helmet has a strategic venting system that enhances breathability and helps to keep the head dry throughout the game. This helmet meets the strict NOCSAE protection standard, and it is available in small/medium and large/extra large sizes.
- Wilson uses premium grade ABS shell to ensure maximum protection.
- The design of this helmet ensures that players get a 360-degree protection from bats and balls.
- It has a strategic venting system that provides maximum breathability.
- Prestige has a multi-point adjustment system that ensures the helmet remains in place.
- It has a flexible construction to make sure that it moves with the catcher.
- Wilson produces it in multiple sizes to cover all youth catchers.
- This helmet meets the strict NOCSAE protection standards.
- It is still an affordable catcher’s helmet despite its incredible quality.
- It is only available in black.
Things To Always Consider When Buying The Best Youth Catchers Helmet
If you are acquiring a youth helmet for the first time, you might not have any clue on where to start, and this is more so if you have never played baseball. However, considering the following important things will make things easier for you.
1. Style Of The Helmet
The style of the helmet that you want to buy is one of the first things that you will need to decide. There are two options available, and they are the traditional and hockey-style helmets.
The traditional style helmet consists of a simple face mask and catchers wear it with a batting helmet. This traditional style helmet is what players in the professional league prefer to wear, but most youth leagues do not allow it because it does not offer adequate protection.
The other style, on the other hand, resembles those that goalies wear in hockey. These helmets have a solid shell and a steel face mask and enough padding on the inner section, and it is the best for youth catchers.
2. Size And Fit
It is important to ensure that the youth catchers masks that you buy do not sit too low or high because this will affect the level of comfort. Although different brands will classify the sizes differently, in most cases, there are only two which are one for adults and the other for youth.
The youth size is for kids below 13 years while the adults' one is an adjustable one-size-fits-all which is the perfect size for senior catchers.
The primary function of a catcher’s helmet is to protect the player from wild pitches and foul balls. And so when shopping for one, it is important to ensure that it offers maximum protection. A protective helmet should have a solid outer shell, a steel mask for the face and sufficient padding on the inside section for shock absorption.
A catcher will have to wear the helmet for extended periods and also have to remove it numerous times during practice or a match. And so it has to be comfortable enough to ensure that it does not interfere with his play.
The fit is one of the factors that affect comfort and so you should make sure that you get the right size. It is also a perfect idea to go for something adjustable that makes it possible for the youth catcher to get a custom fit. Also, you should make sure that it has enough padding on the inside section and a soft and breathable material to keep the players dry and fresh.
There are many things that you will need to buy for your youth catcher, and so it is vital for a parent to avoid spending all the money on the helmet. Although the expensive ones offer the best quality, it is still possible to find something good at a medium price range. Also, buying the helmet as part of a set that includes a chest protector and leg guards can save you some cash.
A catcher's mask is one of his most valuable assets, and this is regardless of the playing level. As a youth player in the junior leagues or just learning the game, a good one will keep your head safe and ensure that you can concentrate on the game without worrying about your safety.
The best helmet is one that offers maximum protection and durability and also fits well. If your child is a new catcher buying a full set is a great option as it will help save you a lot of cash. Lastly, it is always important to make sure that your child tries out the helmet before you buy it so that you can be sure it fits well and that it is comfortable enough.